Flossing correctly is incredibly important for your oral health. Proper teeth flossing removes unwanted food particles and plaque from places in your mouth that a toothbrush cannot easily reach. These include under the gumline and between teeth. A buildup of plaque over time can lead to tooth decay and gum disease, so daily flossing is necessary for healthy teeth. Follow these how to floss steps in order to take the best care possible of your teeth.
How to Floss Properly
- Start with about 18 inches of floss. Wind most of the floss around each middle finger and leave an inch or two of floss bare to work with.
- For proper teeth flossing, hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and index finger. Leave an inch or two of floss to work with.
- Gently curve the floss around the base of each tooth. Make sure you go beneath the gumline. NEver snap or force the floss, as this may cut or bruise sensitive gum tissue and cause bleeding.
- Make sure to use clean sections of floss as you move from tooth to tooth, in order to avoid spreading plaque, food debris, and other unwanted bacteria.
- To remove floss, use the same gentle back and forth motion to bring the floss up and away from your teeth while removing what you don’t want.
Now that you know how to floss, knowing what types of floss to use is just as important for the health of your teeth. There are several different types of dental floss to take into consideration where proper teeth flossing is concerned. Nylon floss is available both waxed and unwaxed, and in a wide number of flavors. While this type of floss is less expensive, it is more likely to tear or shred than single filament floss. When used properly both of these are excellent for removing plaque and debris.
More From Cantonsville Dental Care
Catonsville Dental Care provides high-quality dental services to Catonsville, MD and the surrounding areas. We offer teeth whitening, implants, Invisalign, and other dental services as well as routine dental care and corrective treatments. With years of experience and countless testimonials, we’re your one-stop offices for all of your dental needs!