What is Gum Disease?
Also known as periodontal disease, gum disease exposes your teeth and their roots to bacteria, increasing the risk of tooth decay. Gum disease is also one of the leading cause of tooth loss among adults.
What are the Warning Signs of Gum Disease?
- Your gums bleed easily
- Your gums appear very red and tender
- Your gums are swollen
- Your gums are pulling away from your teeth
- Your teeth feel loose
- Your bite feels as if it has changed
- You notice puss in between your teeth
- You suffer from chronic bad breath
- The fit of your dentures has changed
If you notice any of the above warning signs of gum disease, schedule an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible.
What Causes Gum Disease?
Gum disease is caused by plaque buildup on your teeth and along your gum line. If this plaque is not properly removed, it will harden into thick deposits known as tartar, which can lead to chronic infections and inflammation.
How is Gum Disease Prevented?
- Good Oral Hygiene: The best way to prevent gum disease is to keep good care of your teeth. Brush at least twice a day, floss once a day, and pay close attention to what you eat and drink.
- Regular Visits with your Catonsville Dentists can make all the Difference: At Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, we are a team of caring health professionals who provide unparalleled dental excellence and treat our patients as members of our family. We offer high quality, comprehensive dental care. We set a very high standard for our care and we are very proud of the treatment that we have provided for you.
If you have any questions about Gum Disease or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland by calling 410-747-1115 or visit CatonsvilleDentalCare.com.
Happy New Year from everyone here at Leikin & Baylin Dental Care!
You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.