What Causes Cavities?
Cavities, as well as other forms of tooth decay, are caused bacteria in the mouth. When the conditions are just right, these bacteria begin producing acids, which contribute to loss of tooth enamel and eventual tooth decay.
Over time, this decay begins to eat away at the living material inside of the tooth. This is what we refer to as a cavity.
How can Cavities be prevented?
Cavity prevention is relatively simple, comprising of routine dental care.
- Oral Hygiene: Brushing (twice a day) and flossing (once a day) are crucial in the prevention of cavities and tooth decay. And remember to take your time. A good tooth-brushing takes at least 2 minutes.
- Nutrition: Avoid foods with high sugar content. Sugary foods encourage bacterial growth and acid.
- Dentist Visits: Dr. Leikin and Dr. Baylin of Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville offer high quality, comprehensive dental care, including regular dental visits, preventative treatments, fillings, aesthetic restorations, and more!
How are Cavities treated?
- Remineralization: The use of fluoride can help reverse the decay associated with shallow cavities.
- Fillings: If a cavity is too large to be remineralized, but still small enough to not require more extreme treatments, it may be treated using a filling.
- Crowns: If the cavity is more severe, the tooth may be covered using a crown.
- Root Canal: If the cavity has extended to the center of the tooth and has infected the nerve, a root canal will probably be required.
- Extraction: If the tooth decay is extreme enough, the tooth will need to be removed.
If you have any questions about Cavities, or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland by calling 410-747-1115 or visit CatonsvilleDentalCare.com.
Dr. Leikin and Dr. Baylin of Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville offer high quality, comprehensive dental care.