Oral health is not important in infants, right? After all, their baby teeth will just fall out anyway…
Good oral health is important even at a young age, because healthy baby teeth lead to healthy permanent teeth. And the opposite is true, as well. If an infant’s teeth fall out too early because of poor oral health, the child may develop several problems, including:
- Poor eating habits
- Speech problems
- Crooked teeth
- Damaged adult teeth
And what is the primary culprit? Baby Bottle Tooth Decay!
Baby bottle tooth decay occurs when sugars, like those found in milk, formula, fruit juice, and more, are left exposed to an infant’s teeth for an extended period of time. These sugars promote the growth of bacteria, which produce acids that attack the teeth. And if left untreated, baby bottle tooth decay can lead to pain, infection, and the eventual loss of teeth.
Preventing Baby Bottle Tooth Decay
- Avoid sugary drinks.
- After feedings, wipe your baby’s gums with a clean gauze pad or washcloth.
- Do not allow your child to fall asleep with a bottle containing anything other than water.
- Do not dip your child’s pacifier in any sugary substances.
- Brush your baby’s teeth (without toothpaste) when his/her first tooth comes in.
- Begin flossing regularly once all of your infant’s baby teeth have come in.
- Ensure that your child is getting enough fluoride.
- Schedule regular visits with the dentist.
Pediatric Dentistry at Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland
Dr. Leikin and Dr. Baylin of Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville offer high quality, comprehensive dental care geared towards children and adolescents, including regular dental visits, preventative treatments, fillings, aesthetic restorations, mouth guards, and much more!
In addition to offering unequaled dental excellence, we will make you feel as comfortable as possible. Going to the dentist can be an anxious experience, but at Leikin and Baylin Dental Care we will ease your worries. We make visiting the Dentist Fun!
If you have any questions about Baby Bottle Tooth Decay and Oral Health, or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland by calling 410-747-1115 or visit CatonsvilleDentalCare.com.
“We are a team of caring health professionals who provide unparalleled dental excellence and treat our patients as members of our family.”