Tooth decay occurs when bacteria build up in the mouth, creating acids that slowly eat away at the teeth. Tooth decay usually does not cause symptoms until you have a cavity or an infected tooth. If not properly treated, tooth decay can cause pain, infection, cavities, and the eventual loss of the affected tooth.
Preventing Tooth Decay
- Good Oral Hygiene: Regular brushing and flossing is the first step in preventing tooth decay.
- Eating Right: Do your best to avoid foods with high sugar content.
- Regular Dental Checkups: Dr. Leikin and Dr. Baylin of Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville offer high quality, comprehensive dental care, including regular dental visits, preventative treatments, fillings, aesthetic restorations, and much more!
Treating Tooth Decay
The appropriate treatment for tooth decay depends on the severity of the decay.
- Slight Tooth Decay: In these instances, the use of fluoride may help reverse the decay.
- Mild Tooth Decay: These are the situations that typically result in cavities. To treat this level of tooth decay, your dentist will drill out the cavity and use a filling to fill the gap.
- Severe Tooth Decay: Severe cases of tooth decay may need a dental crown or root canal.
- Extreme Tooth Decay: If the tooth decay is extreme enough, the tooth will have to be removed.
If you have any questions about Tooth Decay or Oral Health, or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland by calling 410-747-1115 or visit CatonsvilleDentalCare.com.
“We are a team of caring health professionals who provide unparalleled dental excellence and treat our patients as members of our family.”