Believe it or not, Gingivitis and Gum Disease are not the same thing. That is a common misconception. Gingivitis, which is an inflammation of the gums, typically precedes gum disease, medically known as Periodontal Disease. It is important to note that not all cases of gingivitis will progress to periodontitis!
- Gingivitis: Bacteria and plaque build up in the mouth, causing the gums to become inflamed. When gingivitis is left untreated, it can advance to gum disease.
- Gum Disease: With gum disease, the inner layer of gum and bone pull away from the teeth, forming pockets. These pockets become breeding grounds for bacteria and start to break down the bone and connective tissues that hold the teeth in place. If not properly treated, gum disease may result in tooth loss.
Signs and Symptoms of Gum Disease
- Bleeding gums
- Swollen or tender gums
- Constant bad breath
- Receding gums
- Deep pockets between the teeth and gums
- Loose teeth
Treating Gum Disease
The goal of treatment is threefold:
- Promote the reattachment of healthy gums to teeth
- Reduce swelling, the depth of the pockets, and the risk of infection
- Stop the progression of gum disease
Treatment options range from nonsurgical therapies that control bacterial growth to surgery to restore supportive tissues.
Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland
Dr. Leikin and Dr. Baylin provide the highest quality comprehensive dental care around. We will examine your situation and provide our recommendations based on the severity of gum disease.
At Leikin & Baylin Dental Care, we ensure that our patients receive unparalleled dental excellence!
If you have any questions about Teeth Grinding, Bruxism, or Night Guards, or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland by calling 410-747-1115 or visit CatonsvilleDentalCare.com.
“We are a team of caring health professionals who provide unparalleled dental excellence and treat our patients as members of our family.”