With Valentine’s Day in the rear view mirror for another year, it’s a great time to take stock in your smile and learn what you can do to help brighten it. Your pearly whites, at this point, may not look as pearly as you’d like. Without proper attention, your smile may begin to show its age, Luckily, there are several simple steps you can take to help improve your smile and restore much of its lost luster.
Simple Oral Health Tips to Help Brighten Your Smile
- If you Smoke, Stop: Smoking is one of the worst things you can do for your teeth. The nicotine and tar in your cigarettes are the primary culprit behind your discolored teeth. These substances are also slowly eating away at your gums, increasing your risk of tooth loss and even cancer.
- Brush the Right Way: Brushing is not enough. You must ensure you are brushing the right way. For starters, you should be brushing at least twice a day…more if possible. As for brushing the right way, you should angle the brush 45 degrees toward your gum line, and use gentle, circular strokes.
- Flossing is Fundamental: Brushing alone does not get the job done. You will need to also floss. Use about two inches of floss between your fingers and keep the floss tight against your tooth to break up plaque.
- Avoid Sugary Foods: Sugar fuels bacteria and acid production, helping form plaque, which slowly east away at your teeth.
- Visit the Dentist Twice a Year: During these visits, your dentist or dental hygienist will clean and polish your teeth as well as remove plaque and tartar from your gums. Regular trips to the dentist can also help catch oral health problems, like tooth decay, gum disease, trauma, or cancer, at an early stage when they’re still very treatable.
Leiken & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville
If you have questions about family dental care, or it’s just been a while since you’ve had a cleaning or talked to your dentist, it’s time to make an appointment. You can contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland by calling 410-747-1115 or visiting CatonsvilleDentalCare.com.