Tooth enamel, the outer layer of your teeth, is the hardest substance in the body. But if not properly maintained, your tooth enamel could weaken. Obviously, some natural wear and tear is ultimately inevitable, but there is still plenty you can do to ensure your tooth enamel stays strong.
Protecting your Tooth Enamel
- Avoid Sugary Foods and Drinks: Sugars lead to the production of acids, which can eat away at tooth enamel. Foods and drinks to avoid include: soft drinks, chewy candies, artificial sweeteners, and much more!
- Try to Incorporate the Right Types of Foods: Calcium-rich foods help to neutralize acids in the mouth. Calcium also plays an important role in keeping your bones and teeth strong.
- Over-Brushing is a No-No: While it may seem like the right thing to do, brushing too hard can actually damage your tooth enamel.
- Heartburn can harm your Teeth: Sometimes, with severe heartburn, stomach acids work their way into the esophagus, eventually reaching the mouth. And, as you can imagine, these acids can be detrimental to tooth enamel.
- Chlorinated Pools: Wait, chlorinated pools? That’s right! When pools are overly-chlorinated, the water actually becomes acidic. Tooth enamel exposed to pool water can begin to erode.
- Dry Mouth: Dry mouth can become a huge problem for tooth enamel. Saliva helps wash away the bacteria that eventually lead to cavities while also neutralizing acids. Without saliva, your mouth is in danger.
- Grinding your Teeth: “Over time, grinding can wear down the enamel surface and destroy teeth,” says dentist Richard Price, DMD, a spokesperson for the American Dental Association.
- Regular Dental Checkups: Dr. Leikin and Dr. Baylin of Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville offer high quality, comprehensive dental care. In addition to offering unparalled dental excellence, the oral health professionals at Leikin & Baylin Dental Care will make you feel as comfortable as possible.
If you have any questions about Tooth Enamel and Dental Health, or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland by calling 410-747-1115 or visit CatonsvilleDentalCare.com.
“We are a team of caring health professionals who provide unparalleled dental excellence and treat our patients as members of our family.”