As parents, you play a big role in your child’s health, from feeding your children a healthy diet to making sure they get enough exercise to making sure they follow good oral hygiene practices. And while the first two duties may be pretty inherent, few parents really know the ins and outs of good oral hygiene for their children.
Pediatric Dentistry and Oral Health FAQs answered by your Catonsville, Maryland Dentists
- When Should Brushing and Flossing Begin? Brushing should begin as soon as the first baby tooth breaks through the gums. Flossing should begin when two teeth touch each other.
- Is Fluoride Toothpaste Okay to use? Some dentists suggest using just water until the child reaches age 2. This is because children tend to swallow toothpaste and swallowing too much fluoride could lead to the discoloration of permanent teeth.
- How often should a Child’s Teeth be brushed? Just like anyone else, you should brush your child’s teeth at least twice a day.
- How often should a Child replace His/Her Toothbrush? We recommend replacing the toothbrush every 3-4 months or sooner if it is showing signs of wear. Likewise, you should floss your child’s teeth twice a day, as well.
- Are Sealants a good choice? Sealants are thin, plastic protective barriers that fill in the chewing surfaces of the back teeth, protecting them from tooth decay. Ask your doctor if sealants are right for your child.
- When should a Child begin Brushing/Flossing on their own? Believe it or not, most children are not able to brush their own teeth properly until age 6 or 7.
- Is Mouthwash Safe for Children? Generally, we do not recommend children use mouthwash.
- When should a Child First see the Dentist? We recommend that infants see a dentist by the age of 1 or within 6 months after their first tooth comes in.
Pediatric Dentistry in Catonsville, Maryland
Dr. Leikin and Dr. Baylin of Leikin & Baylin Dental Care in Catonsville offer high quality, comprehensive dental care geared towards children and adolescents. In addition to offering unequaled dental excellence, we will make your child feel as comfortable as possible.
At Leikin and Baylin Dental Care we will ease your worries…We make visiting the Dentist Fun!
If you have any questions about Pediatric Dentistry, or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville, Maryland by calling 410-747-1115 or visit CatonsvilleDentalCare.com.
Dr. Leikin and Dr. Baylin of Leikin & Baylin Dental Care of Catonsville offer high quality, comprehensive dental care.