A dental crown is a cap that is placed over a tooth in order to restore the size, shape, size and strength as well as improve its appearance. When the crown is cemented into place, it fully encases the visible portion of the tooth.
A dental crown may be needed for a variety of reasons. Some of the more common reasons adults need dental crowns are:
- To prevent a weak tooth from breaking
- To restore a tooth
- For coverage and support to a tooth
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover up a severely discolored tooth
- To cover a dental implant
- For cosmetic modification
Less common, but children may also require dental crowns. A child may require a dental crown for different reasons than an adult. Those reasons are:
- To save a tooth that cannot be supported by a filling
- To protect a child’s teeth that are at high risk of decay
Leikin and Baylin Dental Care: Your Friendly, Neighborhood Dentist
At Leikin and Baylin Dental Care in Catonsville, Maryland, our team of caring health professionals provides unparalleled dental excellence. We treat our patients as members of the family. And since most procedures are performed in our office, our patients rarely need to leave our careful eye.
If you have any questions about Dental Crowns or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Leikin & Baylin Dental Care by calling 410-747-1115 or visit CatonsvilleDentalCare.com. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.